Monday, December 28, 2009

skiin' the beav

I am not an amazing skiier. I am definitely average, at best. But I really do love to do it. Skiing is so peaceful and fun and beautiful. I have always enjoyed skiing but I think now, since my ski adventures are so few and far between, now I immerse myself in my surroundings and try to soak it all in. I got to go (sounds like I have been locked in a cage and only got one phone call) skiing last week while D stayed home with the chitlins. Look at this mountain. It too would be considered average. But you know what? I seriously love going here. This is where I learned to ski. I got left on a black diamond run by some "friends" on my first day of ski school when I was in the sixth grade. Who wouldn't love to come back and just tear up the mountain, with a little avenge chip on their shoulder? And honestly, I don't mind skiing alone. There are no awkward lift rides to the top where conversation should definitely be avoided but some social pressure and the voice of my grandma ringing in my head ("Be sure to introduce yourself and be polite") forces me to open my mouth and blurt out something totally regrettable. I can also go anywhere I please and go at my own pace. Selfish? Much. Especially when it comes to how I spend my time away from the kiddles. I did go with my sister but we ended up doing our own thing and I love her the more for it.

And on this particular day, it snowed. Giant. Puffy. Flakes. Huge, fluffy snowflakes flying at me in every direction. It was beautiful! It also makes everything seem extremely quiet. Have you noticed that? When it snows, all you can hear are the flakes lightly making a noise once they hit the ground or a tree or something. My favorite thing in the world.

This was memorable and a favorite from this month. How about you?? What is one of your favorite memorable moments from this month??

6 comments:

Jeremy and Kelli said...

That is awesome. That is one thing I have never done. Kelli has but I haven't.

Erik A. said...

I admit there is a special place in my heart for Beaver Mtn too. You should try other mtns too. While Beav is great the price is getting to be a bit ridiculous. $40 for a place with 4 lifts and the only discount is 3 bucks off? How generous!

Nells-Bells said...

i agree...there are other mountains that are definitely better than beaver. i just am really glad there is a place only 45 minutes away...though they need to drop their prices or add on to the mountain. ;)

Valeri said...

That's awesome you ski by yourself. I don't love it enough to ever go to the trouble of planning out a trip by myself, but I can see what you're saying about enjoying the quiet on your own. Whenever I go with Neil I tell him I don't want to slow him down and tell him to go on ahead. He's so good though, that he'll never go far enough ahead that he can't see me. I suppose it's the best thing we can do to get away from the kids for a day. What you said about listening to the quiet of the snow lightly hit the ground - I totally get it. It's a beautiful thing and difficult to put into words.

Nells-Bells said...

valeri -- it really is hard to put that into words! i hope i didn't absolutely take the beauty out of it with my description. but snow falling is honestly one of my favorite things. it is just so beautiful and has the coolest sound.

sarah said...

definitely memorable for me! I guess you did ski solo. Not one of my best ski days.