Saturday, May 24, 2008

horror of pop culture

Today I had the chance to view the new Indiana Jones movie. It is definitely enjoyable; full of the same old tricks, one-liners and Indy moments. No one else could've filled Harrison Ford's shoes in this role that he carved out for himself.

BUT I couldn't help notice all the kids in attendance as well. This movie is rated PG-13 and there were definitely kids younger than 13 there. I am not one of those parents who jumps on a soapbox and rants and raves about how to BE a good parent. I just want to point out how many kids were there and how many were crying and therefore, had to be taken out. You know Indiana Jones movies are not for the faint-of-heart. Think back to Raiders of the Lost Ark (if you can think back that far). At the end, everyone who looked at the open ark melted, for heaven's sake! In The Temple of Doom a man's heart gets ripped out with another's bare hands. Don't you think that this movie would be even more intense? I am one who had nightmares after seeing Gremlins and Thriller (Michael Jackson is pretty scary)!!

It brought to mind an article Stephen King wrote back in 2004 when The Passion of the Christ was released. He had gone to see the movie and couldn't help notice the children in the audience; more specifically a little girl. He makes a good point regarding the violence seen in the movie through an adult's eyes compared to a child's. I know Indiana Jones and The Passion of the Christ are very different types of movies. But he does make a good point. I would love to know your thoughts.

3 comments:

Therese said...

thanks for pointing me to stephen king's article. i liked what he had to say.

Erik A. said...

I had a similar experience in watching Saving Private Ryan at the theater. There was a 9 or 10 year old boy sitting there on the edge of his seat during the opening 40 minutes of the moving with the intense shooting and warfare. I couldn't believe the parents would let him watch it.

Anonymous said...

I think it is REALLY important to monitor what your kids watch. I remember a few times watching R rated movies without mom's consent at a friend's house. It had a serious impact on me. I think that is the most important bit, to think about how the children will perceive it.