Tuesday, November 6, 2007

rubber band method


Have you heard of the rubber band method? In my classes at the university we would discuss this method. Not much to it. Basic principles are this: if you want to break a habit, slip a rubber band around your wrist and when you feel the urge to do whatever you shouldn't (such as break your diet or lose your temper) then you snap the rubber band. Usually, it takes two weeks to break a habit and this is supposed to be a way of helping that. I've taken it upon myself to try this out. Since having our second baby, I lose my patience a lot faster than normal. So when I'm about to break, I snap that puppy and it helps keep me in check. Sometimes I don't even have to snap it -- by merely looking at the rubber band on my wrist is a good reminder.

No comments: