Tuesday, April 6, 2010

back to london

I was sad to say goodbye to Oxford. I had such a great time there and I was leaving so much unseen. Hopefully I will be able to return sooner rather than later. My wonderful friends packed me in their car and drove me back to London. I was planning on taking the Oxford Tube back but they were headed into London anyway. Plus to have their company was better than riding alone on a bus.

One thing I didn't realize is that if you are driving to London you must pay a congestion charge. Just to come into London. THEN they rake you over the hot coals a few times with having to pay up the nose to park. I guess that is what happens when you live near one of the major cities of the world. And one of the most expensive.

Speaking of expensive, our first bit of agenda was to check out the shopping district. Now I know why they call it the "high street". We had fun riding the double-decker buses with the boys and then eating at this snazzy waffle restaurant. I ordered a waffle with strawberries and whip cream but one can order a waffle with a hot dog wrapped inside. I was educated on the many different ways to eat a waffle.
London
London
London
London
Our expensive parking meter was up and we drove to The British Museum. So again we had to find more parking. And again, we were charged an arm and a leg just to park. Moral of the story: I am truly converted to the public transport there and how easily accessible it is. Can I get an amen?!

The British Museum was fascinating with all that it holds. The Rosetta Stone, mummies from Egypt, bits of the Parthenon, a statue from Easter Island...just to name a few.
London
London
London
We spent a good couple of hours in the museum and still didn't see it all. The boys were getting restless and so was I. It had been a long, eventful day and I was pooped. Our next destination was my sister's flat for a wonderful dinner awaiting us. We visited for quite a while all together and enjoyed great conversation. It was hard to say au revoir to my friends but what a great reunion it will be when I am able to come again.

Oh, it does not end there, mon frere! I have saved the best for last: our car ride from The British Museum to my sister's flat. The traffic was horrific. I really had no idea how to get there. I have only ridden the tube and know my way underground. So my role for the next hour and a half was to be a bump on a log. That left our navigation up to my friends and they totally came through! Neither lost their cool and were so patient with each other. I was very impressed by their willingness to not give up and endure! Considering how exhausted and hungry we all were, then to be stuck in horrible traffic and drive around in circles, they absolutely deserve an award. We did finally get a break: the parking near my sister's flat was free!! We couldn't have been more excited.

My last three days in London up next!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Who would have known that it was that expensive!! YIKES!!! But glad you had fun!!! Loved the museum pics!