Sunday, March 21, 2010

chawton house

Day 4 was one of my favorites. It is hard to choose just one but I think it was also a favorite of my sister's. To be able to have a memorable day with her already secures a place at the top.

When deciding beforehand of what I wanted to do while in England, Jane Austen sites were a must. I also wanted to do something my sister had not done before and Chawton House fit both categories. If you are a fellow Jane Austen fan Chawton House is a MUST! This is the house where she lived the last eight years of her life with her mother and also her sister Cassandra. Many of her works were also published while living in this house like Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Emma. The house is easily accessible and located just outside of Alton.

The day began with us riding the tube to Waterloo Station and from there hopping on a train which took us straight to Alton. The train ride only took about an hour. I do need to mention that once we set foot in Waterloo Station, it felt strangely familiar...like I had seen it before. Then I realized it was from the most recent Jason Bourne film, The Bourne Ultimatum. If you remember, there is a scene in the movie where Jason Bourne is running from a sniper and he is weaving in and out of people in Waterloo Station. Yes, it is sad I remembered that. But it was fun at the same time to know Matt Damon had been there!! I just realized that comment made the whole situation even more pitiful. ;)
London2
From Alton we took a taxi straight to Chawton House, which we had pre-arranged. It was about a 6 minute drive and there we were, in Jane Austen territory. All I could think once I stepped from the taxi was to soak the moment into my memory bank, never to be forgotten.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The original entrance to the house is at the front but now, you must enter through the side door. Before entering the house itself, there is a pay desk and a shop where you purchase your tickets. Then a learning centre just around the corner which shows a short, 15 minute video on the life of Jane Austen and gives more history of her time at Chawton House. Here are some pictures of the back garden, the area by the learning centre, and then the entrance to the museum:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Upon entering the house, you are whisked back in time and see things as they were in the early 1800's. There is the dining parlour with Jane's writing desk in the corner; the drawing room where an exact replica of the piano forte that Jane would've used every morning to practice her piano; the vestibule; the reading room and then upstairs is the bedroom Jane and her sister Cassandra shared. Mrs. Austen's bedroom is also upstairs and now displays family memorabilia.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I hope you have seen the movie Becoming Jane. It is one of my top favorites. On display in this next room they have two of the costumes worn in the movie by Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy. The sign said to not touch and it took everything within my being to not touch the green jacket!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
In the hallway was a letter from Cassandra written three days after Jane's death to their niece, Fanny Knight. Also in the hallway was Jane Austen's will, penned by her.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Just outside of the house was the kitchen:
Photobucket
Also, a bakehouse where Jane's donkey carriage is kept. Chawton House was more than memorable...it was an experience beyond description. We definitely worked up an appetite during our self-guided tour and there is a perfect little pub across the way where I had my first British fish and chips.
Photobucket
We then ventured to a park nearby. There was a sign saying Jane used to walk on a trail there all the time. So of course we had to take the walk. My nephew (can you guess?) challenged me to a foot race, again. I won...again. ;) I just couldn't get enough of the scenery. It was just beautiful and I knew why Jane liked to take walks so much. Who wouldn't when you are surrounded in such a breathtaking countryside??
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Good thing there were swings to entertain the chitlins:
Photobucket
Back on the train, with my two new bookmarks (one leather, one with a picture of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy), I felt completely fulfilled from spending the day with Jane Austen's things and being there with my sister. The weather even complied! It held off from raining until we got back on the train to London. I couldn't help but wonder what it would've been like to live at that time, to wear those dresses and be worried about my social standing. Would I be an accomplished pianist? Would I have pursued interests of my own or ones others marked for me? After mulling over and analyzing all the pros and cons of living in simpler times, I realized I like my independence too much and am grateful I am able to enjoy all the comforts of now. The irony of it is I wouldn't have been able to take this kind of a trip if I lived back then. Discuss! ;)
Oxford installment is next!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

watcing her movies I too find myself wondering what life would have been like back in those days. i ask myself the same questions...but like you, i do enjoy my independence and the things of today.....but how fun would that have been to live in that time..... (sigh)

dayna said...

oh man. i. want. to. live. there! something about it--life seems more simple in the country there. it is beautiful. thanks for sharing all the photos. i loved them!

Valeri said...

I second everything Dayna said. These photos practically brought me to tears. I LOOOOOOOVE Jane Austen. So awesome!!!